Sunday, March 8, 2009

Dominic Giacobbe’s brother speaks out about the shooting of his brother.




In Citrus County Dominic Giacobbe, 26, was shot and killed by Citrus County Sheriff’s Deputies.

Now according to his family Giacobbe has a history of mental illness.

Apparently before he was shot by police, the police had responded to two different calls about Giacobbe wondering in traffic. No action was taken during those calls.

Sometime later there was yet another call on Giacobbe and this time when deputies arrived, they elected to let the K-9 Officer confront Giacobbe. As the K-9 approached him, he pulled a knife and stabbed the K-9 officer. Deputies then shot and killed Giacobbe.

Now the family claims it could have been prevented. His brother reports that he bought a ticket for Giacobbe for a bus ride to New Mexico but he missed the bus.

Now parts of this I don’t understand, they family claims Giacobbe was having mental problems and thought demons were out to get him.

Apparently Giacobbe was hospitalized for three days (unsure if he was a ba-52) and he had an evaluation at a local psych hospital. Reports even indicate there was a 911 call on Giacobbe prior to this shooting because he had been wondering off.

His brother told the media that Giacobbe didn’t do anything wrong, he was just walking through traffic. I don’t know why, but the brother eliminated the fact that his brother stabbed a police K-9.

Granted my hear goes out to the family and this is a sad situation.

But I have to wonder why the family was not taking a more active approach in getting him the treatment he needed. If he was still thinking demons were out to get him, why wasn’t he baker acted again? Was there no family support for him here in Citrus County? And if his mental status was so bad, then why wasn’t something done during the prior encounters he had with police?

At first look when I read this story my first thought was just another family trying to blame the police for their problems in life. But I also come to realize there are a lot of unanswered questions about this shooting.

What are your thoughts about this case? Do you think that the police were justified to use deadly force because a K-9 officer was stabbed?

4 comments:

BuffaloGal30 said...

I know this post/case is really old, but I came across it while looking up something else. Dominic was my cousin. His twin brother was in the process of trying to get him some help, which is why he bought him a bus ticket to go out to where their mother was living. I don't live in Florida, so I'm not clear on the laws there, but Dominic did not have health insurance and was turned away for getting help for his schizophrenia. His brother was trying to get him help through the Baker law, but help did not get to him in time. He wasn't on any meds. He also was shot a completely unreasonable amount of times.

Unknown said...

please contact me. jessethescoop@gmail.com

Unknown said...

please contact me. jessethescoop@gmail.com

Unknown said...

please email me, I have some questions about dominic and would like to get in touch with Joe. This breaks my heart. Jessethescoop@gmail.com